We’ve all heard the LinkedIn hubbub — how it enables two professionals who would likely never have the opportunity to meet in person to connect in a mutually beneficial way; and for lawyers specifically, how it can create a strong referral network that crosses state lines (a little interstate commerce never hurt anybody). But the question is, how can you make this fabulous networking tool work for you?
5 Tips that will assist every attorney in building a strong LinkedIn presence:
1. Time – I know, you probably don’t have much of it. And the time you do have is spent billing in 6, 12, 15-minute increments. But if you want LinkedIn to work for you, you have to spend time on the site, as described below…
2. Make Your Profile Pretty – Ahhh, yes. Back to that thorny time issue (see #1). But I promise you, spending 20, 30, 60 minutes creating your online resume and utilizing the profile enhancement tricks that LinkedIn provides will be worth every minute you spend. 90% of individuals perform online research before making a decision (including which lawyer to hire), so make sure your LinkedIn profile shines.
3. App it Up – LinkedIn provides a host of apps that can be great for business development. Not every app will fit your practice, but take a few minutes to check out the Events app or the polls app or Slideshare app… See, the app-urtunities are endless!
4. Spread the Wealth – And by wealth, I mean knowledge. LinkedIn is a perfect venue to share your experiences and insights about your practice or the legal profession in general. Don’t leave that pretty profile you spent so much time creating barren, add some relevant news to it and watch your network grow.
5. Use Your Voice – Similar to #4, don’t keep everything you have learned over the years inside. Join appropriate networking groups, reach out to thought-leaders, and start promoting your point of view! LinkedIn users are constantly taking polls, asking questions, and otherwise looking to communicate with and connect with other professionals. This is your opportunity to build your network and develop new business, so take it!
Of course, if all of this sounds like it requires time you just do not have, we understand. The Social Media-friendly lawyers at WebPresence, Esq. will assist you in building your practice while you focus on the practice of law. For more information about how WebPresence, Esq. can develop your good name and referral network, give us a call today.
WebPresence, Esq. is a cutting-edge Web Presence Management company built by attorneys for attorneys. Our team of lawyers will create a powerful Social Media campaign for your law firm, enabling you to attract new business and increasing your firm’s reputation. Additionally, we will manage your online reputation, ensuring that your carefully-crafted name remains in good stead. For more information about our services, contact WebPresence, Esq. at 310.906.0935 or check us out at www.WebPresenceEsq.com today.